1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

This Is the End

By May 31, 2013

It is with much sadness that I report that this is my final blog post as the Guide for Rock Music here at About.com. The decision has been made to cease publishing new content, although the reviews, articles, interviews and lists that I've written over the last five years will remain on this site.

It has been a pleasure writing about rock music, especially during a period of uncertainty in the genre. Since 2008, we've seen a crop of new (or newish) bands carry the torch for a younger generation -- Alabama Shakes, Kings of Leon and the Black Keys immediately spring to mind -- while at the same time bands from the 1990s like Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains have tried to recapture past glories by reuniting recently. This site, which was tasked with chronicling contemporary rock from the '90s to the present, has always sought to find that middle ground between the aging legends of classic rock and the more experimental leanings of alternative music. That proved to be an interesting challenge as rock continues to see its market share shrink. The most obvious sign of this was when Billboard near the end of last year radically redesigned its rock singles charts, essentially banishing most of what would be considered traditional rock for more pop-leaning artists. There are still plenty of good rock bands out there, but they have a hard time making a dent on radio or in the public consciousness.

Consequently, this site's unofficial mission has been to document what exactly constitutes "rock" in the 21st century. Long replaced by hip-hop and other genres as the dominant and most culturally significant musical art forms of the age, rock has faced something of an identity crisis, wrestling between retreating into the past or trying to stake out new territory. Retro groups like the White Stripes have managed to do both simultaneously, but they're that rare exception. It's difficult to guess where rock will go in the future, but I'm sorry that I won't be covering it here at About.

I want to thank you, the readers, for your thoughtful emails and lively discussions over the last five years. It's been a treat to run this site, and I hope you enjoyed what I brought to it. If you'd like to stay in touch, you can reach me at my personal blog as well as on Twitter. By the way, I titled this blog post somewhat in jest. Since the rise of punk in the late '70s, naysayers have been sounding the death knell for rock 'n' roll. Despite its creative peaks and valleys since, the music has never gone away. Every supposed "end" of rock music has simply been a transitional period before some exciting new permutation. This site may be wrapping up, but the music it covered is far from finished.

Follow Rock Music on Twitter and Facebook

Comments

May 31, 2013 at 3:53 pm
(1) CJ says:

That’s not good news.
Thanks for your efforts – I’ve enjoyed reading them.

June 1, 2013 at 10:43 am
(2) Scott says:

Good luck in the future Tim, your articles have been very good ones. Remember Rock-n-Roll will never die, it lives in the hearts of all of us who love Rock-n-Roll. Rock On

June 2, 2013 at 8:32 pm
(3) chris says:

You will be missed. I have found all your material very interesting. Rock-n-Roll is in the hearts and souls of every person, it can never be down sized, fired or taken away.

June 3, 2013 at 7:55 am
(4) Guns says:

Wish u luck in the future Tim. Discovered many new bands due to your reviews. Thanks a ton.

June 3, 2013 at 12:27 pm
(5) Alianza Rock - ARCK PANAMA says:

Thanks for your effort…you’ve been a great reference to being published on my fb fanpage (Alianza Rock)…hope to know about you in the near future wherever you’ll be…best regards, Mikk D’Wolff.

June 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm
(6) McBratty says:

I shall greatly miss receiving your emails and reading your thoughts on what is appearing in the world of rock. Thank you for all that you have done over the last five years to keep us all updated. You will be missed.

June 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(7) Carol says:

Noooooooo…..this can’t be :( I’ve been enjoying R’n'R for most of my 62 years; your musings have helped keep me up-to-date over the last few years; well-written, interesting and comprehensive. OK, so I don’t like everything (my tastes run from the Doobie Bros. to Avenged Sevenfold and beyond, in both directions) but I don’t have to. I’m retired and can enjoy the luxury of reading and listening to music all I want. Thanks so much for contributing to my “retirement plan” by opening my mind (although I still don’t have like everything) in many ways. All the very best wherever your life wanderings take you next.

June 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm
(8) jf says:

I very frequently “google-around” the internet for content about what is going on with rock music, still one of my favorite subjects as I turn 50. New content of your posts will be greatly missed, but I have saved many bookmarks pointing to your past work. Good luck to you in your future endeavors, and thank you for the good reads.

June 4, 2013 at 12:34 am
(9) marc70 says:

Rock on,Tim! Maybe you can join us in being part of the permutation process.Peace

June 4, 2013 at 4:51 am
(10) heidi says:

Always enjoyed your blog – good luck for the future and long live rock n roll

June 4, 2013 at 6:28 am
(11) Sudip says:

Sorry to see you go Tim. Learned a lot from you and with your guidance my rock horizon expanded double its size. Keep on rockin’ in the free world my friend.

June 4, 2013 at 11:13 am
(12) Pramod says:

Thanks Tim..Wishing you all the best in whatever you choose to do next.